Is AVS Video Converter 8 a great software program, or a ripoff? Read this to find out.
Today we’re reviewing AVS Video Converter 8, which has undergone some terrific improvements since their latest major upgrade in October 2011. The developer releases regular small upgrades on an as-needed basis throughout the year, which is one of the best features of this software. All upgrades are free after your original purchase.
So what does AVS Video Converter do?
Video files come in a number of different file formats, and not all video files will play on all devices. AVS Video Converter takes a raw video file in just about any format and converts it to just about any other format. For example, it will take a video file from a camcorder in AVI format and convert it to H.264 so you can upload it to your iPhone. It will copy a DVD movie to your computer’s hard drive and let you upload it to your iPad so you can watch it away from home. AVS Video Converter 8 has even added support for Blu-Ray Disc format, which is just amazing in a converter at this price.
The software comes bundled with 17 other built-in tools for one low price. The most attractive one if you’re working with video files is AVS Video Editor, which lets you clip the parts of your video you want and add special effects. You can add a soundtrack, voice-over narration, slow motion, freeze frames, and special effects, along with text subtitles and credits. It’s like having a film editing studio on your home computer.
Another tool in the AVS bundle that you might like is the built-in screen capture feature. Instead of paying over $200 for Camtasia Studio, you can set AVS to record your screen activity as a video file in any format and use the video editor tool to snazz it up before posting it on your blog or on YouTube.
Does AVS Video Converter Work?
Compared to other video converter programs, this tool is one of the best, and for the price, it is the best. Here are some of its best features:
- Works with a huge number of file formats, for both input and output files.
- Strips out DRM protection on DVD movies and music files. (You should only do this with media that you own the rights to. Anything else is illegal!)
- Lets you convert video and audio files in batches while you’re away from your computer.
- Output quality of the converted video files ranges from very good to excellent.
- AVS Video Converter 8 added a one-click upload feature for popular media sharing sites, including YouTube and Flickr, so you don’t have to visit those sites to upload your files
- Comes with lots of other cool media tools
- Free to try out and see if you like it.
- Compatible with all recent versions of Windows, including 32 and 64 bit XP, Vista, and Windows 7. The problems with 32-bit Windows have been fixed in the AVS Version 8 upgrade.
Problems with AVS Media Converter
The most common customer complains about this software are:
- No telephone support. This isn’t limited to one company, though – in this price range, online support is all you’re going to get no matter who you buy your software from. Fortunately, the upgrade to Version 8 solved virtually all of the issues in previous versions, so odds are excellent that you’ll never need to open a support ticket.
- Watermarks in the trial version. The AVS trial version puts a watermark on your converted videos that you can remove by purchasing the software. This is standard practice in the industry.
- No preview window. This doesn’t get a lot of customer complaints, but it really should be part of any video converter package. Look for it in future upgrades.
- No way to transfer your license between computers. The “Unlimited Subscription” means you get all 18 software tools for the life of your computer, not your life. If you plan on replacing your computer in the next year, buy the cheaper “One Year Subscription” instead.
- No Mac version. Check out our Mac DVD ripper review if you need a video converter for your Apple machine.
If you’re interested in a full suite of media tools, choose AVS Video Converter.
Reg. $59.99 Special Sale $41.30
If you’re planning to upgrade your computer in the next year, you want the 1-Year AVS4you Subscription $29.25.
18 Tools Included in the AVS bundle:
- DVD Copy
- Media Player
- Ringtone Maker
- Disc Creator
- Photo Editor
- CD/DVD Cover Editor
- Registry Cleaner
- Document Converter